Welcome to the seventeenth artist interview on miscellany!
(1) Tell us about yourself: I was born and raised in Michigan in the metro-Detroit area. I moved up north to Bentley, MI a year ago to be closer to my mom and boyfriend. It was a change I needed in my life, to leave the busy city for a quieter life.
(2) Tell us about what you create: I started off with knitting scarves about 15 yrs ago as a hobby. I would make soaps, candles, and lotions and give them away as gifts.
(3) Tell us about your handmade art business: I do most of my work in the living room. I love to sit on the floor at the coffee table with music or the tv on in the background for noise. I don’t like quiet. I keep my supplies ticked away in my craft room, organized in dressers so I know where everything is. I’m a neat freak.
(4) Tell us about your customers: They could be anyone. I am not trying to market to any one person, although with my jewelry and scarf accessories, I tend to see more women. With my art, I just hope to inspire others and it is age appropriate for anyone. Some of my art is inspirational and great to give as a gift and some would be based upon a persons personal taste.
(5) Tell us where we can find your art: I sell on eBay under user name RavensCreations. I have a Facebook page. My boyfriend and I also sell at local mid-Michigan vendor events. For details as to when and where, people can follow me in twitter or FB. We have sold at the Big Ol Barn Sale and the Midland Antique Festival, both in Midland Michigan. We have attended tractor shows, been to 28th Street Studio in Grand Rapids, MI and Burley Park.
(6) Tell us about your support: I get encouragement from my mom and boyfriend. My boyfriend and I work together to set up for vendor shows. The work I create is my own, although I will bounce ideas around with my boyfriend if I’m feeling blocked.
(7) Tell us about your favorites: I follow the artist vivacious jo and Echo Vaas Art on Facebook. Their work is inspiring. I love the shop Country Chic Creations in Houghton Lake, MI. The owner there is so nice and very talented. We both live the color turquoise. And I follow some of the etsy forums on FB as well to see what other artists struggles are with creating and selling in order to learn and better myself for when the time comes for me to start selling more on etsy.
(8) Tell us anything else: I am self taught, learn from my mistakes, and continue to learn daily. I have made major life changes within the past year, giving up a full time job of 10 yrs to move up north with no job and only knowing my mom, her friends, and my boyfriend. I was inspired and compelled to paint one day and starting painting, having never painted before. I love to make people happy and to put a smile on their face when they find a piece they live that I created. It’s why I do what I do.